Sometimes the very best things begin as accidents. Like tonight’s dinner. I planned to make Whole Living’s mushroom, spinach and scallion tart.
But, I didn’t have scallions on hand and forgot to defrost the phyllo dough. Ugh!
So, I improvised. I roasted the veggies I had in the fridge that needed to be eaten ASAP and gave the recipe my own little twist.
Recipe: Vegetable Tartlets (adapted from Whole Living’s recipe)
- 1/4 head chopped organic cauliflower
- 1 white chopped organic onion
- 1 cup chopped organic kale
- 2 cups chopped organic mushrooms
- 4 oz. pastured goat cheese
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup raw milk
- 1 tsp. freshly ground corriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 roll phyllo dough
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Order of Operations (sense the math dork in me?):
- Toss chopped vegetables in olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper
- Roast vegetables on baking sheet in 425 degree oven until edges are lightly crisp, set aside
- Grease cupcake pan with olive oil
- Lightly brush phyllo dough with olive oil and press into cupcake pan
- Bake dough until edges are lightly golden
- Fill dough cups (still in cupcake pan) with roasted veggies
- In a food processer, puree goat cheese, eggs, milk, corriander, cumin and salt
- Poor mixture over vegetables
- Bake for 20 minutes (until custard is set) at lowered temperature of 350 degrees
- Let set in pan for 10 minutes
- Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes
These were a huge hit. I can’t believe how easy they were (or how quickly they disappeared).
A few accidents turned out to be a definite yum!