The setting: The Palace at Silver Lake, Los Angeles, Calif.
The time: Thanksgiving Day 2010
The event: Out of the Nest Fest (weird, Gen-X holiday)
- Ana: The Hostess with the Mostest
- Mark: Mr. Mellow
- Kim: The Pastry Princess
- Karen: The Sweets Skeptic
- Chris: The Turkey Googler
- Me: The Veg Lover
- Kitchenaid: Grandma’s mixer
- Ana: Welcome to the palace! Glad you could make it. Can I ply you with wine?
- Mark: Off screen, opens a few bottles and begins to serve.
- Teresa: Wow! These are the hugest Brussels sprouts ever! Can’t wait to roast ‘em up!
- Mark: We drove all over town for those dudes.
- Kim: Chris? Are you sure you know how to carve this thing?
- Chris: Googles “how to carve a turkey”
- Kim: Doesn’t it look delish? And the crust is vegan, too!
- Karen: Oh goody! I love pie!
- Karen: Growls. Wait…did you say “vegan”??? As in, no butter?
- Kim: Grimaces. Actually, now that you mention it, maybe that is a little weird.
- Karen: No butter, even in these tartlets???
- Kitchen Aid: I’m staying out of this!
- Chris: Offscreen. So, if these desserts are vegan, what’s in the pumpkin pie?
- Ana: Also offscreen. Coconut milk, of course!
- All: In unison. Cheers! Happy Thanksgiving!